samedi 28 février 2015

Is it good practice to let Node/Go/... act as a frontend webserver?



I'm used to writing web stuff in PHP and let Apache or nginx handle the actual HTTP handling and load my code via whatever means (mod_php, fcgi, fpm, ...). I'm under the impression that this is a Good Thing(tm), as there have been years and years of hacking, patching and improving these webservers, so they are "battle tested".


Now, with "newcomers" like Node or Go, I am faced with the question of what's the best way to write real-life, production web applications. I'm hesistant to just let Node listen on port 80, as I fear its HTTP handling mechanism isn't as well tested as that of Apache/nginx (I'm thinking of evil clients, floods, DoS attacks etc.). My admin "confirmed" this by only letting Node apps run behind a reverse-proxy nginx.


Is this fear rational? Or is it totally fine to skip having a dedicated webserver and do the entire request handling in my app (including TLS?)?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire