mercredi 25 mars 2015

Anti-virus anonymity question



Many people pay for VPNs and select the VPN based on whether or not that VPN keeps logs of the user's activities and if so for how long. The motivation is privacy- they don't want their surfing habits to be known. Of course they take other steps , controlling cookies etc to control their privacy also.


My question is how privacy is potentially effected anti-virus software. As far as I can tell virtually all of the anti-virus makers now attempt to identify phishing sites and other malicious URLS. In order to do this, they intercept every url their customer surfs to, in order to examine it for viruses or check it against, say, a black list of known bad urls. \


My question is, aren't these companies in a position to benefit or monetize their user's definitive clickstreams? I read the privacy policy of two, BitDefender and Eset and they both sort of say, to the best of my ability to understand, that you're permitting them total access to all knowledge of when and where you surf, full stop. They then say they might share any information they collect with their partners yadda yadda yadda. This was my understanding of their privacy policies and maybe I am mistaken.


My question is- very many people go out of their way to read the TOS for their VPNs to make sure they're not being logged, but these anti-virus companies make NO promises about any logs they might keep or for how long.


People who are worried enough about getting hacked and privacy that they buy a VPN also are likely to use an anti-virus it seems to me. Is this an example of badly compartmentalized risk assessment ? It seems like the anti-virus companies have and may keep all the information users were so worried about their VPN having and keeping?


Have I got this wrong?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire